Presbyterian Research Centre
The Archive and Library for the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New ZealandMenu
St John's Presbyterian Church Rotorua
The first Presbyterian services in Rotorua were held in Lake House Hotel (unlicenced) at Ohinemutu, and on one evangelical mission the missioner stood on the billiard table for a pulpit. At the time Thomas Brent lived in a small hut at the rear of the hotel section, making work-boxes for ladies' needlework at the cost of £1 each, and attended services with a large Bible under his arm.
Later the Public School on Arawa Street was used and the Rev. Robert Sommerville began regular services on 9 December 1894 under the Auspices of the Presbytery of Auckland.
After Sommerville had reported that twenty-five people desired a regular ministry a board of managers was chosen at the close of the service, consisting of Mesdames Ann Robertson, Hall, Purcell, and Messrs F. Scott, G. Thompson, H. McFadyen, H. Ross, Duncan Steele and J. Dalbeth. A ladies' committee was also formed who proved to be notable fundraisers. Sommerville had arrived the previous day on the first train in to Rotorua.
A site was purchased on Pukuatua Street in 1896. St Johns Presbyterian Church was built to cater for the needs of 25 Presbyterians. It was a small wooden church built on the "rocky section", a little hill was the dominating feature, where there was a sulphur deposit which Maori extracted to make home-made gunpowder for their muzzle-loading muskets, the section was used as a grandstand to watch the neighbouring horse-racing.
When the Church was extended the excavation for the piles confirmed the existence of hot rocks. Later while the pipe organ was installed the building was opened towards the rear and during the repiling steaming mud was extracted.
It was on this hill that Maori chiefs waited to receive the overtures of Te Kooti for peace in 1869. Suspecting treachery, Gilbert Mair persuaded the chiefs to reject the offer and he fired the first shot in the running fight which followed.
Plans were drawn up for the church to seat 150 and to cost £200 - the work to proceed 'with all convenient haste'.
Mrs Ann Robertson laid the foundation stone on 31 October 1896. The church was completed by the end of 1896. The official opening was planned for the last Sunday in December 1896, and was postponed until Sunday 7 February 1897 when the moderator was able to travel from Auckland.
Robertson, was one of the followers, a linchpin in the establishment of the church - taking up the Sunday collection, cajoling people to add coins to the plate. She was regularly elected the management committee, and later she was made a life member.
Rev. Donald Ross, formerly of Queenstown, conducted services at St John's, who remained in Rotorua for twelve months until December 1897.
Various ministers helped to maintain services. Meetings on the installing of a resident minister were held until the end of 1902. A stipend of £150 per annum and a manse was offered, and the Rev. Frederick Stubbs was appointed to take care of the Parish in July 1904. He resigned in March 1907.
Electricity was installed in 1901.
The first session was appointed in July 1907 - ST Brent, a staunch teetotaller, and later built Brents Temperance Hotel, Donald McLeod, William Jones and James Boyd. Rev. Thomas Scott MA was called as the first minister and inducted on 21 January 1908.
A Ladies' Guild began in 1903, and the Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union in 1907. The Sunday School commenced in 1904 and Bible Classes in 1909.
The site of the little church on the hill became a popular spot for city workers to eat their lunch.
A hundred children were on the Sunday School roll by 1911, and St. John's Church Hall was built in 1913 on the site of a tennis court, for the cost of £933. Later, rooms were added to cater for the young people with Sunday School classrooms on the east side, Bible Class rooms on the west and a Primary Department on the north.
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip visited the church in 1954.
The first manse was erected in October 1904 and Rev Frederick Stubbs and his family moved in. It was destroyed by fire in 13 July 1907 and rebuilt by March 1908 for £750, and demolished in March 1956. The Arawa Trust Building later occupied the site. A new manse was built on Robertson Street in 1956 on a section purchased for £850, and refurbished in 1985.
A sub-committee was set up to consider the best locality and the possibility of acquiring a site for a suburban church in 1945. St John's purchased two sections in Devon Street at the intersection of Old Taupo Road snd Otonga Road, where St Andrew's Church Hall was erected. The Sunday School roll was fifty-seven with only one child having previously been to Sunday School. Mr EF Witthaus donated a convenient section at Owhata to the Presbyterian Church in 1953, and Mr JA Hayes gave a site on the corner of Sunset Road and Tete Street in 1960. St John's planted St Andrew's Church in 1956 and St David's Owhata.
Presbytery agreed to form a new parish, St. Andrew's-St. David's, centered on the Devon Street and Owhata buildings, with 128 persons transferred from St. John's roll. A new church was erected at the Devon Street roundabout, while a smaller church existed at Owhata.
Twelve boys arrived in Rotorua from Tokelau in 1966. The New Zealand Government relocated them from Tokelau to Rotorua as part of a programme to assist with overpopulation issues on Tokelau's four atolls. Every Sunday they held their own church service at Waipa Sawmill Camp Cafeteria with each boy taking a turn to lead the service. More Tokelauan families were attracted to settle in Rotorua, and combined services with the Cook Island community commences in homes and various locations in Rotorua.
The Governor General Sir Bernard Fergusson opened Fergusson Home in October 1966.
Tokelauan services begin using St John's Rotorua in 1969. The Tokelauan and St John's congregation combine once a month for communion.
Brent's Hotel was demolished for the building of the Hyatt Kingsgate Hotel in 1981.
In 1988 a lay youth worker was appointed.
A property developer offered to buy the original site, and the church purchased a suitable site at the corner of Victoria Street and Ranolf Street within the city.
The New Church Building Committee let the contract to Glencoe Construction Ltd, with Mr Jim Morrison of Hewson Morrison & Associates as Architect. Work on the site began on 16 January 1989.
Various items retained from the original Church were incorporated into the new building. The opening and dedication of the new Church Centre took place on Sunday 4 November 1989.
The translation of the entire Bible into Tokelauan began in 1996 with financial support for the project from St John's Church.
St John's Rotorua became part of the Rotorua District Presbyterian Church on 2 December 2012. The buildings were destroyed in a fire on 8 February 2017. Services began at the former Rotorua Club "St Johns on Fenton" on 19 March 2017 with the intention of re-building the St John's Church. Kaimai Presbytery approved the sale of St Andrew’s land and buildings located at corner 307-309 Old Taupo Road and Devon Street to the Maranatha Church for the rebuilding a new church complex on the former St John’s site.
Iona Girls' College in Havelock North donated their digital Johannus organ to St John's on Fenton Rotorua in April 2017 as the church's Pipe Organ was destroyed in the fire. John Ellis, the Organist at St Luke's Anglican Church Rotorua suggested the donation and the organ builder Ken Aplin acted on the suggestion. The digital organ was put into storage since 2011. Some parts needed to be replaced, and Ralph Cullen of Keyboard Music Systems Auckland installed the replacement parts imported from the Netherlands in June 2017.
Later the Public School on Arawa Street was used and the Rev. Robert Sommerville began regular services on 9 December 1894 under the Auspices of the Presbytery of Auckland.
After Sommerville had reported that twenty-five people desired a regular ministry a board of managers was chosen at the close of the service, consisting of Mesdames Ann Robertson, Hall, Purcell, and Messrs F. Scott, G. Thompson, H. McFadyen, H. Ross, Duncan Steele and J. Dalbeth. A ladies' committee was also formed who proved to be notable fundraisers. Sommerville had arrived the previous day on the first train in to Rotorua.
A site was purchased on Pukuatua Street in 1896. St Johns Presbyterian Church was built to cater for the needs of 25 Presbyterians. It was a small wooden church built on the "rocky section", a little hill was the dominating feature, where there was a sulphur deposit which Maori extracted to make home-made gunpowder for their muzzle-loading muskets, the section was used as a grandstand to watch the neighbouring horse-racing.
When the Church was extended the excavation for the piles confirmed the existence of hot rocks. Later while the pipe organ was installed the building was opened towards the rear and during the repiling steaming mud was extracted.
It was on this hill that Maori chiefs waited to receive the overtures of Te Kooti for peace in 1869. Suspecting treachery, Gilbert Mair persuaded the chiefs to reject the offer and he fired the first shot in the running fight which followed.
Plans were drawn up for the church to seat 150 and to cost £200 - the work to proceed 'with all convenient haste'.
Mrs Ann Robertson laid the foundation stone on 31 October 1896. The church was completed by the end of 1896. The official opening was planned for the last Sunday in December 1896, and was postponed until Sunday 7 February 1897 when the moderator was able to travel from Auckland.
Robertson, was one of the followers, a linchpin in the establishment of the church - taking up the Sunday collection, cajoling people to add coins to the plate. She was regularly elected the management committee, and later she was made a life member.
Rev. Donald Ross, formerly of Queenstown, conducted services at St John's, who remained in Rotorua for twelve months until December 1897.
Various ministers helped to maintain services. Meetings on the installing of a resident minister were held until the end of 1902. A stipend of £150 per annum and a manse was offered, and the Rev. Frederick Stubbs was appointed to take care of the Parish in July 1904. He resigned in March 1907.
Electricity was installed in 1901.
The first session was appointed in July 1907 - ST Brent, a staunch teetotaller, and later built Brents Temperance Hotel, Donald McLeod, William Jones and James Boyd. Rev. Thomas Scott MA was called as the first minister and inducted on 21 January 1908.
A Ladies' Guild began in 1903, and the Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union in 1907. The Sunday School commenced in 1904 and Bible Classes in 1909.
The site of the little church on the hill became a popular spot for city workers to eat their lunch.
A hundred children were on the Sunday School roll by 1911, and St. John's Church Hall was built in 1913 on the site of a tennis court, for the cost of £933. Later, rooms were added to cater for the young people with Sunday School classrooms on the east side, Bible Class rooms on the west and a Primary Department on the north.
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip visited the church in 1954.
The first manse was erected in October 1904 and Rev Frederick Stubbs and his family moved in. It was destroyed by fire in 13 July 1907 and rebuilt by March 1908 for £750, and demolished in March 1956. The Arawa Trust Building later occupied the site. A new manse was built on Robertson Street in 1956 on a section purchased for £850, and refurbished in 1985.
A sub-committee was set up to consider the best locality and the possibility of acquiring a site for a suburban church in 1945. St John's purchased two sections in Devon Street at the intersection of Old Taupo Road snd Otonga Road, where St Andrew's Church Hall was erected. The Sunday School roll was fifty-seven with only one child having previously been to Sunday School. Mr EF Witthaus donated a convenient section at Owhata to the Presbyterian Church in 1953, and Mr JA Hayes gave a site on the corner of Sunset Road and Tete Street in 1960. St John's planted St Andrew's Church in 1956 and St David's Owhata.
Presbytery agreed to form a new parish, St. Andrew's-St. David's, centered on the Devon Street and Owhata buildings, with 128 persons transferred from St. John's roll. A new church was erected at the Devon Street roundabout, while a smaller church existed at Owhata.
Twelve boys arrived in Rotorua from Tokelau in 1966. The New Zealand Government relocated them from Tokelau to Rotorua as part of a programme to assist with overpopulation issues on Tokelau's four atolls. Every Sunday they held their own church service at Waipa Sawmill Camp Cafeteria with each boy taking a turn to lead the service. More Tokelauan families were attracted to settle in Rotorua, and combined services with the Cook Island community commences in homes and various locations in Rotorua.
The Governor General Sir Bernard Fergusson opened Fergusson Home in October 1966.
Tokelauan services begin using St John's Rotorua in 1969. The Tokelauan and St John's congregation combine once a month for communion.
Brent's Hotel was demolished for the building of the Hyatt Kingsgate Hotel in 1981.
In 1988 a lay youth worker was appointed.
A property developer offered to buy the original site, and the church purchased a suitable site at the corner of Victoria Street and Ranolf Street within the city.
The New Church Building Committee let the contract to Glencoe Construction Ltd, with Mr Jim Morrison of Hewson Morrison & Associates as Architect. Work on the site began on 16 January 1989.
Various items retained from the original Church were incorporated into the new building. The opening and dedication of the new Church Centre took place on Sunday 4 November 1989.
The translation of the entire Bible into Tokelauan began in 1996 with financial support for the project from St John's Church.
St John's Rotorua became part of the Rotorua District Presbyterian Church on 2 December 2012. The buildings were destroyed in a fire on 8 February 2017. Services began at the former Rotorua Club "St Johns on Fenton" on 19 March 2017 with the intention of re-building the St John's Church. Kaimai Presbytery approved the sale of St Andrew’s land and buildings located at corner 307-309 Old Taupo Road and Devon Street to the Maranatha Church for the rebuilding a new church complex on the former St John’s site.
Iona Girls' College in Havelock North donated their digital Johannus organ to St John's on Fenton Rotorua in April 2017 as the church's Pipe Organ was destroyed in the fire. John Ellis, the Organist at St Luke's Anglican Church Rotorua suggested the donation and the organ builder Ken Aplin acted on the suggestion. The digital organ was put into storage since 2011. Some parts needed to be replaced, and Ralph Cullen of Keyboard Music Systems Auckland installed the replacement parts imported from the Netherlands in June 2017.

P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56Visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to St. Johns, Rotorua on Sunday, 3 January 1954. Queen Elizabeth II, in floral print dress, with hat, gloves, and a handbag, and Prince Philip are walking on the road past the St. Johns manse. Two ministers in black robes are walking ahead of the Queen and Prince Philip. Children, many of them wearing hats, are standing on the footpath watching the procession.
P-A478.19-56
St John's Presbyterian Church Rotorua. Presbyterian Research Centre, accessed 28/07/2026, https://pcanzarchives.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/117423





