It formed part of the Havelock North Parish, and the ministers from that parish conducted services. Before the arrival of the motor-car, a service would be held at Kereru, at Maraekakaho in the afternoon, and at Havelock North at night, a long day by horse, or by horse and buggy.
The Presbytery of Hawkes Bay separated Maraekakaho from Havelock North and constituted it as a separate charge in 1910. Sir Douglas Maclean presented a site for the manse on the formation of the Charge. The first minister, the Rev. RH Catherwood was inducted in 1910. The Rev. WR Hutchison, a young licentiate was ordained and inducted in 1913. He resigned to be a chaplain to the forces on the outbreak of war. Rev William Gow filled the charge between 1916-1919.
Maraekakaho was a separate charge with services at Maraekakaho, Raukawa and Kereru. Maraekakaho closed in 1937, added to Havelock North and Suburbs. After the last resident minister the Rev. R. Waugh (1943-1950) and Rev. H. Mitchell (1950-1960) served the parish until it was incorporated into St. David's Hastings.
The Maraekakaho Church Hall Trust was established in December 1959. The second church was opened in 1966.
St Andrew's Hastings accepted responsibility for regular services at Crownthorpe in 1971, and for services at Maraekakaho in January 1972, discontinued in March 1987. St Andrew's continued to supply monthly or bi-monthly services. The Maraekakaho Church Hall Trust makes the Church Hall available as a community meeting place and venue for hire.
Maraekakaho. Presbyterian Research Centre, accessed 27/07/2026, https://pcanzarchives.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/117626