Presbyterian Research Centre
The Archive and Library for the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New ZealandMenu
Saddle Hill (Fairfield) Church Dunedin
Kiri Bush Church and Sunday School held in Kiri Bush School, 1848
A small wooden church was built in 1865 on the coastal side of Saddle Hill on a section donated by John Hunter. It was funded by donations from the community and available for the use of any Protestant denominations. Lay preachers from the Baptist Church conducted the early services.
Mr. William Stewart, first missionary stationed at Brighton, 1878-1901, nearly 24 years - died 25 January 1909, interred at Green Island Churchyard(?)
Green Island church financed the building of the Walton Mission House 1871. Dr Watt took services once a month and lay preachers took the other services. It was available to other denominations by arrangement. Brighton Church built 1887, opened 1878.
First Saddle Hill Church, cost £90 to build about 1886.
Walton (Fairfield) Church was built on the Main South Road 1907. The land and building were donated by Alexander Patterson in memory of his wife.
Mrs. Elsie McLeod started Sunday School at Ocean View about 1925/1926 until she married in 1935 in the Reid family cottage, then when not available taught in the sand hills at right of the later building - "one year of rainless Sundays", then moved to Mrs. Story's tea rooms, later the store where a piano.
Taieri Beach joined to Saddle Hill Parish, it was part of Waihola Parish till 1930.
The minister encouraged local Ocean View people to raise money and build Sunday School, donations and voluntary labour, thus the first half build 1930/1931. Forms from Saddle Hill Church were used and an organ purchased.
Old Saddle Hill Church closed and taken down 1959. 872 hours of voluntary labour for at least 20 people to shift it.
Saddle Hill Board of Managers constituted 1960. The Girls Brigade began to use the Saddle Hill church extensively 5 April 1960.
Fairfield manse was built on Martin Road 1960. G W Van Tricht and his family were the first occupants. Fairfield area, originally known as Walton, separated from Green Island 1964 and merged with Concord, the minister was John D C Anderson. New church built and the original church and land was sold and became St Barnabas Anglican Church; Concord merged into Corstophine in 1966 and Lookout Point became part of Saddle Hill 1966, minister John Anderson and associate minister E W Body.
At the end of 1970 Lookout Point went into Caversham and Saddlehill then incorporated Fairfield, Ocean View, Brighton and Taieri Mouth under Roy Belmer, in 1971.
Taieri Beach Church closed 1976. The 97 year old wooden church was unsafe and demolished. Rev. W. George Clarke held the final service.
Services were held at Taieri Mouth Hall until 1990.
Brighton Church closed 1999 and services were held at Ocean View Church.
Saddle Hill amalgamated with East Taieri 11 February 2003.
A small wooden church was built in 1865 on the coastal side of Saddle Hill on a section donated by John Hunter. It was funded by donations from the community and available for the use of any Protestant denominations. Lay preachers from the Baptist Church conducted the early services.
Mr. William Stewart, first missionary stationed at Brighton, 1878-1901, nearly 24 years - died 25 January 1909, interred at Green Island Churchyard(?)
Green Island church financed the building of the Walton Mission House 1871. Dr Watt took services once a month and lay preachers took the other services. It was available to other denominations by arrangement. Brighton Church built 1887, opened 1878.
First Saddle Hill Church, cost £90 to build about 1886.
Walton (Fairfield) Church was built on the Main South Road 1907. The land and building were donated by Alexander Patterson in memory of his wife.
Mrs. Elsie McLeod started Sunday School at Ocean View about 1925/1926 until she married in 1935 in the Reid family cottage, then when not available taught in the sand hills at right of the later building - "one year of rainless Sundays", then moved to Mrs. Story's tea rooms, later the store where a piano.
Taieri Beach joined to Saddle Hill Parish, it was part of Waihola Parish till 1930.
The minister encouraged local Ocean View people to raise money and build Sunday School, donations and voluntary labour, thus the first half build 1930/1931. Forms from Saddle Hill Church were used and an organ purchased.
Old Saddle Hill Church closed and taken down 1959. 872 hours of voluntary labour for at least 20 people to shift it.
Saddle Hill Board of Managers constituted 1960. The Girls Brigade began to use the Saddle Hill church extensively 5 April 1960.
Fairfield manse was built on Martin Road 1960. G W Van Tricht and his family were the first occupants. Fairfield area, originally known as Walton, separated from Green Island 1964 and merged with Concord, the minister was John D C Anderson. New church built and the original church and land was sold and became St Barnabas Anglican Church; Concord merged into Corstophine in 1966 and Lookout Point became part of Saddle Hill 1966, minister John Anderson and associate minister E W Body.
At the end of 1970 Lookout Point went into Caversham and Saddlehill then incorporated Fairfield, Ocean View, Brighton and Taieri Mouth under Roy Belmer, in 1971.
Taieri Beach Church closed 1976. The 97 year old wooden church was unsafe and demolished. Rev. W. George Clarke held the final service.
Services were held at Taieri Mouth Hall until 1990.
Brighton Church closed 1999 and services were held at Ocean View Church.
Saddle Hill amalgamated with East Taieri 11 February 2003.

Saddle Hill (Fairfield) Church Dunedin. Presbyterian Research Centre, accessed 27/07/2026, https://pcanzarchives.recollect.co.nz/nodes/view/121515





